Popular Posts

Total Pageviews

Thursday, December 17, 2009

LOVE = T-I-M-E

Once heard a speaker at a mens conference give Zig Ziglar's definition of love, T-I-M-E. It only made sense in that we give our time to those things most important to us. We give our time to those things we are most devoted to. Those "things" I refer to are relationships.

The most important commodity we possess to give away is our time. You see, what I devoted my time to, early in my adolescence were 1) my Mother whom I was there for (who was physically abuse seven days a week) 2) my friends whom I previously mentioned & 3) baseball.

I found a refuge from the chaos at home while hanging out with Ray, Mark, Lawrence and Ronnie. If we weren't listening to a Dodger game or at one, we were outside playing baseball in front of their house. You have to understand, they lived on 5th Street/Rowan Avenue which was a hill. We designed a makeshift asphalt baseball diamond so we played uphill. All we did was spray paint bases on the street. Naturally, we spent a lot of time chasing balls downhill.

Ronnie, who was the oldest, later was old enough to drive us to Dodger games in Chavez Ravine. Dodger stadium became my field of dreams. Needless to say, this is how I became a die-hard Dodger fan. I bleed blue to this day.

I love Dave Dravecky's opening comments in one of his books. He likens baseball to life played within lines/boundaries or parameters; the green grass representing everything rich in our lives; the game's slow tempo as how life should be lived; and alludes to the players as grown men playing as little boys.

This love/time I would put into my Mama, amigos and baseball would play a factor in shaping me.

No comments:

Post a Comment